Work experience - start your career journey with us
Our purpose at Central Bedfordshire Council is to represent and serve the communities of Central Bedfordshire along with our statutory responsibility for schools. We are responsible for delivering and commissioning a wide range of services which in turn supports our vision to make Central Bedfordshire a “great place to live and work”.
What is work experience?
Work Experience is usually a short period of unpaid work, designed to provide an insight into the workplace. Placements can also assist with learning basic work skills and deciding what career path you might like to follow.
Work Experience can help you to make the transition from education into working life, help you re-enter the workplace after a break and/or give you the opportunity to retrain, but in all cases it will help you gain genuine hands on experience, be part of a team and help to deliver council services.
Who can apply for work experience?
Work experience is available to anyone from the age of 15. It can take place at any point in the year and can be for 1 or 2 weeks, usually over consecutive 5 day periods of 37 hours per week, however we may be able to arrange alternative working times to help support you if the team you will work in can accommodate this.
Why do work experience with Central Bedfordshire Council?
Your work experience will give you an opportunity to:
- gain first hand experience of the workplace and work alongside experienced staff
- gain an insight into the public sector and services we provide
- increase your confidence and skills for future employment
- gain an insight into how your skills and abilities can be used in the workplace
What geographic areas do we cover?
We are based across different locations in Bedfordshire and this may be a deciding factor when making your placement choice.
Some of the locations we are based in
North Central Bedfordshire
- Sandy & surrounding areas
Mid Central Bedfordshire
- Bedford & surrounding areas
South Central Bedfordshire
- Dunstable & surrounding areas
Here are some of the areas work experience could be available in
- Assets, Property, Facilities, Catering
- Children’s Social Care
- Communications, marketing & PR
- Corporate Strategy & performance
- Customer Services
- Economic Growth & Regeneration
- Environment & Conservation
- Finance, Accounting & Audit
- Health & Safety
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Legal & Democratic Services
- Leisure, Community Safety, Public Protection
- Planning, Transportation & Highways
- Policy & Performance
- Procurement & Purchasing
- Project work
- Support work
- Waste & Recycling
- Youth work